Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Giver

Eric's birthday was yesterday.
Eric is the world's most thoughtful gift giver, hands down.
He has my birthday, Christmas, anniversay, Valentine's gifts planned months in advance.
And they never disappoint.
Like the one time we were in Borders looking at art books and I randomly pointed and mentioned that I loved this one early picasso painting, "Embrace in the Street (Les Amants Dans La Rue)". And he secretly wrote it down. And months later, on our anniversary, I received a gorgeous oil reproduction of the picasso with a certificate to buy a worthy frame. There are other times when "priceless" is his theme and he presents me with his sketches, or writes cheezy poems or, for instance, sings home-made lyrics to The Sound of Music's "These are a few of my favorite things"....about Carly.
Evidently, I sort of struggle with his days of honor.
This time I tried to mimic his tactics.
I planned months, (or rather, a month) in advance. I listened carefully for subtle interests of his. I wrote them down. I even made sure he couldn't witness what I bought through our online accounts.
So what was his thoughtful, fabulous, unique gift?
I bought him Basketball Shoes.
In a nutshell: they were a bust.
"Too small, doesn't even play basketball anymore, not even 'real' Jordan's, get him shoes every year...."
Not like he said all of those things, but I knew it.
I had totally failed, yet again.
And to tell the truth, I was far more dissapointed than him.
So Eric, here's my second attempt at your birthday gift:
I now solemnly hand over to you the throne of all rockin gift giving.
I will never out-do or even match your skills ;
i'll remain the surprised, enthusiastic, grateful
gift receiver.
p.s. Emmett finally let Eric eat a piece of his birthday cake, thanks Emmett.
And
Margot went mobile for Eric's birthday.

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

I am dying over the picture! SO CUTE!!!! And... I think that was a wonderful gift. Not your fault they were too small. I love your posts! and you have the cutest family! Love u

Lindsay said...

o and happy late birthday Eric

Tammy Runia said...

Car, the real reason Eric had an awful Birthday is because his Mother-in-law ordered him the perfect gift and then shipped it to HER house instead of YOUR house so he never got it...I weep (literally) when I think of how he would have looked upon seeing it delivered to your back porch on Aug.5th..Ugh!! I love you, Mom

Tim and Jennifer said...

Um, basically I feel the same way with Tim. I think I forgot to do something one year too. Oops! He wins. How is Margot so beautiful? Oh, look at her mom. Her eyes rock!

jamie t. said...

Eric needs to teach Aaron a few things! Sorry about the busted bday gift. Its the thought that counts right.

We need to have you guys over again for games and treats again!

Rachel said...

it was all in good intentions right?

I love the picture of Margot!

Whitney Bonnett Taylor said...

I love that pic. of Margot. Looks like her hair is long enough for clip in bows.... jealous!

Brooke and Mike said...

Hey Reds! We loved seeing you guys this summer. Already miss those lil' ones and their cuteness!! Hope all is well.