I used to pull great strength from the fact that I have endured the struggle of bringing not one, but two human souls into this world.
Well done me! I survived the difficult feat of living through pregnancy and giving birth...twice!
How funny that in these last weeks, this strength of mine has been strained, actually,
pretty much demolished, by one seemingly simple task:
Potty Training.
Nobody warns you during pregnancy of Potty Training.
They make sure to inform you of so many of the obstacles that come with little ones like
the sleep and feeding issues, but nobody mentions,
"Oh and by the way, potty training marks the end of your life."
Nobody tells you how your role as a mom will eventually evolve into a sewage worker.
And how your patience and loving instruction for your toddler goes down the toilet (if your lucky) as they suddenly realize they are in control and can dominate you by pooping and peeing wherever and whenever.
Then you make yourself loony as you start creating a fantasy world in the toilet to entice your child to use it,
like poop birthday parties in the toilet tunnel with presents and candles,
and tinkle turning into yellow twinkle stars.
I must admit, it has been rewarding to see Emmett join in the imagination fun, coming up with his own poop terms like brown snakeys and icky chocolate brownies.
I've come to realize that potty training Emmett will not happen over night, and could even take months, maybe even 9. And at the end of those nine months, perhaps i'll once again discover my enduring strength, this time not from pregnancy, but from potty training.
10 comments:
Oh Carly, I hear ya! Just the other day when ryan came home from work, and saw the crazy look in my eyes, he asked what was wrong... and I told him: I have reached my poop threshold. There's only so much we can take, really. :)
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that struggles in this area with my son... but if its any consolation, you should know that gracie is already pretty much trained. Girls. No bribing, no games- just a few pairs of Jaac's undies and she was set. :)
So just give it a little while, and you can train Emmett and Margot at the same time! Two for one!
Can't wait to see you guys... hope we can squeeze in some cousin playing time! Loves!
Please tell me you've heard the story of Sam being potty trained? If not, ask Eric. I laugh now just thinking about how horrible and hard it was for Tracy. Oh man, I am so sorry that you are there.
Eric was the one who got Sam to do his business in the proper place if I remember correctly. Maybe he'll be able to do the same for Emmett.
Good Luck!
Carly, you are brave. Very brave. The mere thought of potty training terrifies me into diaper submission.
Nooo!!! I don't want to hear about it. I never want to have to go through it. it grosses me out enough when Kyle pees through his clothes!
Okay that makes me laugh, but totally scares me at the same time! We're about to start with Kallie.
This too shall pass! Brook was the same way. I think she took 5 months from start to finish. :)
I'll tell you what, as silly as it sounds, the poop party was the ONLY thing that worked for Jackson.
Bribes: nothing (I don't care if I don't get a jellybean, or a piece of gum or a thousand dollars)
Threats: only made him poop in secret and not tell me. Nothing worse than poopy underpants except hour old poopy underpants.
Poop party; Pure Genius on the part of my doctor.
I do have to say, Jackson has been potty trained for some time now and he still has accidents. I guess I'm not going to be out of the woods for a long time.
And just for laughs, he peed in his eyes again today, for the SECOND time.
Beautiful picture as always Carly! Sorry about the potty training... it's never fun... At least you have laminate downstairs so there can be a "quarantine" area! I can't tell you how much pee we've cleaned off the carpet. Blech!
People post really long comments on your wall!! That is exciting. So the other night I had this dream that I was at your house sometime in January of 2010 ...but then I realized that I was awake! All very strange. So where are you going to be in January for I hear road trip in the winds .....
potty training has been the bane on my exisyence. seriously, i had to quit and we'll try again in a few months. you are so funny though... i love the way you write.
Post a Comment